Jobs at BlankSlate
BlankSlate is looking for freelance writers to join our close-knit team as bloggers for our new site QueensNYC.com, a site about places to live, things to do, and what to eat in Queens. We’re looking for people who know Queens inside and out and are eager to write about what’s happening in this fast-changing borough.
You’re passionate and savvy about Queens.
- You know how each neighborhood is different, and love those differences. You have favorites: streets, restaurants, museums, shops, fantasy houses, neighbors.
- You know where to buy the best empanada. Where to find the best live jazz. Who puts on the most colorful parades. Where to buy a retro sofa. Which museum offers the best discounts. Where to take energetic kids for a day.
You’re skilled in writing, tech, and social.
- You love people and are comfortable interviewing members of the community, from museum curators and chefs to real estate agents and politicians.
- You’re familiar with WordPress, Photoshop, and fluent in social media.
- You can write fresh and compelling posts quickly and concisely.
- You’re a decent photographer, good at finding, editing, and uploading photographs.
- You can work effectively on the road or from home (yes, you’ll need reliable wireless) while also collaborating with colleagues in the office.
You have it all: intelligence, style, energy, and wit.
- You’re an avid consumer of local city news and blogs. You regularly read sites like Gothamist, The Awl, Vice, and Edible.
- You have impeccable spelling and grammar. You can maintain a clear, consistent voice appropriate for our editorial scope and audiences.
- You have a smartphone and laptop.
- You have a keen eye for trends and passion for the zeitgeist.
- You have a sense of humor, yet a sophisticated polish.
If you’re interested in working with us, please send your resume, and a cover letter that includes your desired rate and links to your work to firstname.lastname@example.org. We’re excited to meet you!